The DsPH met for their system leadership meeting on Friday 14th September and the key messages are below. Please share these messages with your teams via e-mail and at your team meetings.
- Visit by ADPH President – Dr Jeanelle de Gruchy, President of the ADPH and Deputy CEO Isobel Howe joined the DsPH group to discuss key public health issues. Jeanelle talked of her priorities being challenging norms, supporting members, promoting the unique leadership role of the DPH and being a well-respected national voice for public health.
- PHE dental health update - Yvonne Daley and Lesley Gough, Consultants in dental health for PHE, gave details of recent surveys undertaken for children and older adults, work on preventing oral cancer and implementing MECC in dental practices.
- C&M Mental Wellbeing Commission scoping event – There is agreement with the PHE national mental health team to hold an event in November to scope the potential development of a C&M Mental Wellbeing Commission.
- PHE update - Mel Sirotkin of PHE updated on the national work to develop a quality framework for the public health system around “What good likes like”. Engagement sessions will take place across the country and a draft is expected in November.
- Industrial strategy paper – Adam Major of the Champs support team presented a paper to DsPH giving an overview of the national industrial strategy, released in 2017 and the local opportunities for public health to be involved in the production of local industrial strategies.
- Cheshire & Warrington update – A paper on Minimum Unit Pricing (MUP) has been written by Guy Kilminster of Cheshire East Council and will be presented to Cheshire & Warrington CEOs. An event is planned in November to launch new research on MUP. A meeting is planned with DsPH and the new lead CEO in Cheshire & Warrington for health and wellbeing, Kath O’Dwyer of Cheshire East Council, to update her on current activity.
- NHS England update – Hayley Mercer updated on the sexual health/HPV roll out, national procurement of cervical screening services and planning for this year’s flu vaccination programme.
- Good news and gratitude – The DsPH and colleagues also shared items of good news and gratitude:
- The new public facing “Happy Hearts” CVD prevention website has now been launched for Know your numbers week www.happy-hearts.co.uk
- Dr Mel Roche and Dr Ifeoma Onyia’s presentation was well received on making the economic case for CVD prevention at this year’s PHE conference.
- The forthcoming CVD/World café event in Leeds will feature colleagues from C&M presenting on the blood pressure programme
- Cheshire West and Chester Council’s frontline workers won Council of the Year, congratulations to all.
- The new Safe Spaces programme launches in Chester.
- The Collaborative has been successful in its bid for £110,000 to the British Heart Foundation for round two of the blood pressure detection programme focusing on workplaces.
- Thank you and good luck to Deborah Williams of Wirral Council who is shortly retiring.
The next meeting will be the DsPH Board meeting on 12th October and Professor Margaret Whitehead will be attending.